Friday, February 25, 2005

Tall buildings

This week both my boss and the CFO came into town and I had to drive the CFO to a meeting to meet my boss who was at an offsite meeting. The request was sprung on me kinda last minute, and it meant I had to find a place to vacuum out my Jeep after the road trip to Alabama last weekend. Boy did it need it. Exciting, huh, car cleaning.... anyway.....As I pulled up to the meeting site, I realized how much I miss a 'corporate environment.' Our office is in an office park... single story buildings, quiet location, etc.

But the meeting today was at a huge complex of 5 high rise buildings had beautiful courtyards full of men in business suits striding to and from meetings. Across the street restuarants were full of the business crowd grabbing a bite to eat.I miss the hustle and bustle. We used to have 180 people in our company. Now we have 6 in our office and 20 in the SJU office. I miss the friendships. I miss the business aura that surrounds the work day. I miss the opportunity of seeing alot of people during the day. I miss the electric energy that we once had here a few years ago. I miss elevator rides.

But then I remember that I don't miss fighting the traffic daily to work. I don't miss rigid hours and the politics that those type of offices have.

I'd also miss the very low stress job I have now. And the great boss that I have.

Yes, I could change jobs, and I've thought about it. But the thought never lingers long. I've got a great job, great boss, easy hours, easy commute, great benefits...(I mean how many other companys send you to Puerto Rico to go bowling?)

But still.... courtyards, people, activity, elevators, lots of men in suits........ I miss that.

No comments: