Friday, December 30, 2005

New Years Looms Large

Well folks, it's that time of year again. The time we make resolutions that usually last for about 12 hours. We've all been there. We've all sworn to lose weight, join a gym, quit smoking, stop doing somethingoranother or, start doing somethingoranother.

We turn around and realize that another year has passed. If we're fortunate, we look back and say "Damn, I did it. I accomplished it."

Or more often the case, we look back and think, "What a fucking waste this year was."

So here it is again. Dec 31st looming large. Time to for us to set new expectations in our lives. Expectations that in just one day we can change something in our life we're not happy with.

And if truth be known... we can. It's just that sometimes 1 year is not enough time to achieve it.

I've long grown past the 'party in a bar' New Years celebration. For the last few years I've stayed at home, barely caring to watch the ball drop in Times Square, but still I resolved to do a few things. In years past I've resolved to get out of a nothingness of a marriage, get a financial hold on my life, buy a house. All of them took more than one year to do. But this year, I look back and find them all done. Frankly, it's rather surreal.

It's also a time to look back and say thanks for the things that did go right during the year. What I thank God most for, is the continued good health of me and my kids.

But, I have one last resolution left. One last thing I want to accomplish. And this one is huge. This one is scary. This one would change me almost more than all the others. And I don't know if I'm brave enough to do it. It's something I wish for everyday. I battle every day over it. Every.single.day. But having it done, would make me so very happy.

It'll be interesting to look back a year from now, and see if I had the guts to go through with it.

14 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, came her by way of Stephaine...It seems to me one thing you can say about the things you've accomplished: you did it all by yourself! That's pretty darn cool. So, are you going to share what the last big thing is you want to do? Do tell!

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling you'll do this ONE thing . . . but when will you tell us what it is, now that we are waiting with baited breath??? (Just the sound of my baited breathing . . . .) ;-)
Cyndy
http://journals.aol.com/ceegeeatlarge

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/ccancu/ceegeeatlarge

(sorry)

Judith HeartSong said...

Happy New Year Dear Sie. judi

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh what a TEASE! I can't wait to hear wehat your resolution is. I should make realistic resolutions, like ... I resolve to NOT lose weight this year. Maybe I'd feel better by years end! Happy New Year Sie!
~~Kath~~

Bedazzzled1 said...

Happy New Year, Sie! And much luck with your secret resolution. My gut tells me you will be able to achieve it. ::smile::

Anonymous said...

No fair! What is your resolution? Happy New Year, my dear! You deserve all the things you got and I am pretty sure you have the courage to accomplish whatever you want.

Jod{i} said...

I am not one for resolutions so to speak..Not just one day a year anyways...
Maybe my dreams get in the way..Maybe its the fear...As CYnthia wrote of her dreams..
I covet mine, even though I wish them to be true, and they can be, I know this, yet then they will no longer be dreams and then visible to others to boot..

I wish you much Sie...may you reach for those dreams...May you grasp them

Peace
Jodi

Tammy Brierly said...

Sie, that is certainly a tease :)
Good luck with it and let us know when it happens for you. You are a very strong chick, so go for it!

My best to you!

Pretty peanut said...

I hope that you decide to tell everyone what your other resolution is. I'm curious now.
Congrats on accomplishing the things you set your mind to last year.
I'm not big on resolutions. I feel like I'm not in a great place right now.
I guess I just wish for my family to be happy and healthy.
Have a great 2006!

Becky said...

Well...the first thing that popped into my head is "maybe she wants plastic surgery..." LOL Then I thought "maybe she wants to go back to school..." What ever it is, good luck!!!

V said...

Here`s hoping your dream comes true.
V

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that what ever is left for you to accomplish, will get done. You have us all wondering, "what will Sie be up to next?" Personally, I can't wait to find out! Best wishes for the coming year. Dawn, Currently in Arizona
A Couple of Nomads

Anonymous said...

Ok........where are you? I haven't seen you this year. It's 2006 now, come out, come out where ever you are. I have a delicious red apple, my pretty! Anne