Sunday, December 11, 2005

A Christmas Whine

I always have these great ideas that I want to do at Christmas.

Plans full of fun things I'd like to do with the kids. Gift ideas that I'd like to buy and send to friends far away. Cookies I'd like to bake for us to enjoy when sitting around the fire in the evenings, looking at the Christmas tree and listening to Christmas music. Taking the kids to see the Nutcracker. Taking the kids to see the lights, somewhere. Anywhere. Shopping all dressed up with my kids, then having lunch or dinner out afterwards.

Who am I kidding?

There are 24 14 (Holy night Kath!) days until Christmas. I will be working most of those days. I don't even have the decorations up from the store room, much less a tree up. I have no idea what my budget will be for Christmas so shopping has to wait. I don't have the friends addresses. My kids are boys....Teenage boys that would rather muck out the pool than go shopping to the mall with Mom. They still don't know what they want for Christmas.

They would however be more than happy to eat any cookies that were here.

Damnit, I want a Hallmark card kind of holiday, just once.... And I don't mean a Maxine Shoebox card either.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hate to burst your bubble, Sie, but there are only 14 days til Christmas, not 24 ... If I lived closer I'd share my cookies with you!
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

You know, maybe the lovely CELESTE, the cookie-baking good fairy of the WEST, would hook you up with a plate of no bakes and one of Snicker Doodles . . . maybe a couple more if she's stocked up on butter again! Then you'd have at least a PEACE of your dream holiday (I spelled it wrong on purpose!)
cyndy

Unknown said...

I hope that didn't put you in too much of a tailspin. I always hate it when I lose ten days. LOL!!!
XOX
~~Kath~~

Bon & Mal Mott said...

It's good to hear that your boys are normal - they sound like Mal when he was a boy.
We know that you would like to have one of those storybook Christmases, but Christmas is more a state of mind than anything else. The commercial travesty that manufacturers and retailers have made of Christmas is rather dismaying.
Nevertheless, Sie, Merry Christmas!
Bon & Mal

Judith HeartSong said...

huh.... yes, I am working on just getting thru the holiday.

Tammy Brierly said...

Teenagers do help in making the holidays a chore! I say to heck with it, make this year about anything YOU want!

Merry Christmas to YOU!!!!