Monday, January 31, 2005

dPOD Update


Pool of Doom Update....

The pool contractor has been a no show for 4 months. Yep, can I pick em or what.Fortunately the "Good" pool company has stepped in and supplied their contractor contacts. So now I get to be the pool contractor/ coordinator. Fortunately I'm very close to having the pool completed, even tho it doesn't look like it.

I called the "good" pool company because they recommended the 'bad' pool company in the first place. They felt awful and in turn called around and found out that the 'bad' pool company has left 10 jobs unfinished. Up until last year, the 'bad' pool company made unbelievably beautiful pools. Figures the year I work with them, he goes poof.

The other 9 familes the 'bad' pool company has left in disarray are in much worse shape than I. From what I have heard, one family gave him a deposit of $28,000, and they don't even have a hole in their backyard to show for it. A few of the families have paid the whole amount without their pools being even semi close to being completed. No one but me has the pump or heater delivered much less installed.

I paid 2/3 of the $ due and have 2/3 of the work done. I have the heater, pump, plumbing, shot crete, tile and coping done. And by all account, I should be able to complete the work with the final draw $ that I still have. So, knock on wood, I'm in good shape. All estimates fit nicely in the budget. so far.

I've consulted a lawyer, but will only add my name to the law suit if I go over the original cost. But I don't expect to actually collect any $ from this guy. I'm lucky I'm not out mega bucks, like some of them. The electricians started last week, but guess what?!! We had an ice storm here. So you know what that means..... every power guy is probably going to be booked for weeks restoring power to the city. Which of course means a delay in little things like pool power. Sigh. My timing is impeccible.

Inspite of how every, and I mean EVERY thing I do gets complicated, it (usually) always works out for the best in the end. It's why I just take a deep breath and keep going full steam ahead instead of crawling into a corner and sobbing.

With the 'bad' pool company, I was going to have a very small, non-descript grey concrete deck built around the pool. Now, because I am working directly with the concrete company and the deck guy, I am going to have a much larger stamped(!) concrete deck that fits well within my budget. (crossing fingers it looks as nice as the pictures he showed me.)

After electrical, and decking, and the plaster is done... it's a wrap... or a swim. Well, I do need water of course. And a course or two, or three in how to maintain the water.

The good pool company also supplied the name of a pool man to come out and explain how to maintain a pool. What system are you using, they ask.............Bacquil, salt, chlorine? ................(strawberryblonde head tilt) Quoi?

I think I see a pool boy in my future...

No comments: