Friday, January 28, 2005

Ouch. Limp. Groan.


^(co-workers taking me around to explore the old city, San Juan)^

Tuesday started early. Way too early. Between the time change, and the room clock radio that was apparently set wrong, I was wide awake at 5:45am. Yea, I'm a dork. So this meant I had more than 2 hours to kill before I had to walk two blocks to our office. Going back to sleep was not an option.

Speaking of walking. My feet STILL hurt. See, this is why women pack 4 pairs of shoes for a 2 day trip. We never know what the occasion will demand. And this occasion demanded sandals. The kind of sandals that could barely be felt on my poor feet. Luckily I had packed a pair.

Since it's been winter here and my skin is that pasty winter white, jeans and sandals were the dress of the day. Also, the infamous bowling match was also on the agenda. So casual dress it was to be.After getting ready, I went out by the pool and had coffee and breakfast while waiting for the rest of the Atl team to come down and head over to the office. Even cloudy, it felt so great sitting outside in the warmth. Le sigh. I didn't mind having to wait.

The reason the Atlanta office traveled to San Juan was for a company Kick Off meeting. It was also time for employee performance reviews, salary discussions, etc. I wasn't worried. I figured if they were spending the money to send me to Puerto Rico, I wasn't going to end up fired. ........ unless of course I bowled bad.

Seems my bowling skill was remembered from the last company meeting 4 years ago. Now, in the last 4 years of the company, we've gone through some major changes. Most of the people working here today weren't even working for the company. But my boss remembered I bowled really good .... And a few other people remembered too. So this year, it seems there was a fight over whose team I would be on. They decided to be fair and make the company Execs the team captains and the rest of us would draw numbers to fill out the team.

OK, so I admit it. I'm competitive. I like to win. But I haven't bowled in 4 years. Sure I once bowled in leagues and actually established a 200 average one year. But that was a LONG time ago. I hadn't dusted off my shoes and bowling ball since the last time I bowled, which was at the last company meeting. I don't even remember what my score was.

But ... as competitive as I am. ... there are a few other people that are more so. And I ended up drawing the CFO's team. OH yea. He wanted to win. He announced to everyone that "Susan's on my team!" And everyone else groaned in defeat. Can you say pressure?!!! shit, I knew I shoulda practiced when I found out we were having this 'fun' competition. lol.

So, I get set... shoes, ball, etc., and we all agree on a few practice shots. And I throw..... 4 ... yep FOUR gutter balls. Uh huh. I can't stop limping, I don't remember how to bowl, I've forgotten which foot starts off first. Everything is a complete blank. I remember nothing. I'm a complete spazz. "El Capitan" is looking at me like I've grown two heads .... I can see shock in his eyes..lol. oh great. He tells me that if we lose, the amount of pins we lose by will be added as a performance 'to-do' in my next evaluation. lol. Needless to say, I took a lot of teasing, but it was all in good fun.

Course it was more fun when I ended up bowling a 170 which beat everyone's score. And our team won the Company challenge. I limped away knowing my review would be a wee bit nicer. lol

Oh...and while bowling......I also pulled a rib muscle. Now how lazy and out of shape does one have to be in order to hurt themselves bowling?!!! Yea, well, I did. My rib still hurts. And my feet are still a bit tender.

But in my defense, I have to say that after bowling we went to old San Juan and walked. And walked. And walked. Up and down the steep city streets exploring the beautiful old city, since we had a few hours before our planned dinner was to begin. So it wasn't just bowling that made me sore.

Still, it mademe resolve to get back on the treadmill or go to the gym when I got home ..... just as soon as my feet recover.

No comments: