Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Voting Day


I voted.

It was surprisingly quick and easy. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I drove by my precinct on the way to work and didn't see any lines outside the door and there were plenty of empty parking spaces. So I took advantage of it.

I walked into the cafeteria where the voting was being held. There were 9 people sitting at three tables, ready and waiting to help. I also noticed that there were about 30 voting machines and 1/3 of them were available.

The lack of a crowd was surprising and disquieting. I asked one of the poll workers if it had been like this all morning. (It was 9:30). She said they had been very busy when they opened, but they had moved everyone through very quickly.
That made me feel better. I don't like apathy. Hate something. Love something. Take a stand for something. Just don't be apathetic and lazy.

It took me all of 5 minutes to vote. Five short minutes to add one single voice. Mine. And it felt good. Best five minutes, I'll spend all week. I'd have spent hours if that's what it took.

No comments: