Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Polite Dinner Table Talk.







Thanksgiving.... well alrighty then.

Betty Crocker showed up, took over my body and the cooking went fast and smoothly. I love it when that happens.

The kids were due at their Aunts house (Dad's family) around 2:30pm and while they were gone, I finished up odds and ends and set the table. I love my china. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. lol. It was my Grandmothers. It's the pattern with olde English Castles on it. So that, along with my parents silver and linens, the traditional table was set.

The guys were only gone about 3 hours. They said they didn't want me to be alone, which was sweet. I think they had just had enough of the family and were full and tired and wanted to come home and veg out. They came home happy so I knew nothing bad had happened. If it had, they would have told me right away.

I'm lucky we all have a good relationship. But sometimes, the things they tell me (even if they know they're going to get seriously grounded) make me cover my ears and mutter NANANANANANANA so I can't hear.

I had told them not to worry if they weren't hungry. I remember how it was having to eat two Thanksgiving dinners. But I asked them to just sit at the table while I had my Thanksgiving dinner if they weren't hungry and just talk.

That was where I went wrong.

Food ready, we all sit down. They're telling me about their Grandmother, their Dad, their nephew, their half sister, their cousins, all the good food, etc. And then they ask...

"So Mom, why don't you date."

The room is quiet. 3 pairs of eyes on me. Oh geeez.

How do I say I don't know any 6' 4" tall, delicious men?

Why did I make them actually sit down at the table and talk?

Sooo....I told them that on ocassion I do... which I have, kinda (they've only met one friend since the divorce)..... but that I hadn't met a man who was important enough to meet them
.
They all said they wanted to know when I was 'going out.' But not any* coughcough* details. HUH?! Like I'm would to impart details?!! I don't think so!

I'm thinking they overheard a conversation maybe about me not dating.. or were asked directly. Their Dad is involved with a woman and has been for a few years. Which is a very GOOD thing. I think the family expected I divorced for another man...and now that it's been a few years and the kids have never met or talked about any man associated with me, the family's confused. lol.

Son #2 said he would be protective, but fair towards any guy. Son #1 said it would be weird but "Mom you do need to get out." And Son #3 echoed and said He'd be protective too, but that I really should date."

I said great (eyeroll), if you know any 6' 4" men, bring them home.

They then said it would be kinda weird if he spent the night.....

(hands over my ears).....NANANANANANANANANANA

No comments: