Friday, November 05, 2004

TV. Drinking. Dating


Ya know.. I started this "J" with the thought of talking about life and dating after 40. OK, damnit, a few years after 40....are ya happy now?!

Sooooo anyway, I'm watching "The Bachelor," and wondering WHY women would go on tv and make fools of themselves for some guy. I mean, I've made a fool of myself infront of a guy before plenty of times, but NOT on national TV. One case in point ..... .....

I went on a date to a winery, wine tasting. I don't drink. I hadn't had alcohol in, ohhhh about 20 years. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. So WTF was I doing going wine testing at a winery? on an empty stomach. Don't ask me. But I did. and yes, I got Tipsy. Very Tipsy.

When I realized I was getting light headed, I excused myself to go to the ladies room. It was in a separate building. Down a quaint little flagstone walk. I was in heels. Tipsy.... Are ya with me here? That's when the giggling started..... and it wouldn't stop. I am NOT the giggly type of girl. Normally I smirk. I laugh outrageously. I might even chuckle or guffaw. But apparently wine makes me giggle, at first. And I think funny things. Well, in my mind they're funny.

We ended up in the gazebo, with me sitting down on the gazebo floor laughing so hard, I couldn't speak. Literally. Every time I tried to say something I just laughed. Hysterically. Tears streaming down my face laughing. Tipsy. It wasn't a pretty sight. I finally gained control of myself, but only after I ingested enough cracker bread to feed a small 3rd world country.

That cracker bread is some weird stuff. I think they make it and sell it in bulk. He took the rest of it home and I bet he still has enough cracker bread for 100 more picnics. That wheel of cracker bread reminded me of a satellite dish... which at the time, didn't help me control the hysterics. Since then, I avoid wine and cracker bread...... and gazebos.

Anyway.....That can't compare to going on tv and competing for a guy. Tonight is the episode they have "individual overnight" dates. The women each get to choose if they share a night in a suite with him. Next day he then goes through that skin crawling, corny, horrific embarrassment of a 'rose ceremony' and tells some chicks bye.

Suddenly getting Tipsy in a gazebo falls short on the embarrassment scale.

On next weeks show they take the guy home to meet their parents. I'll pass..... Unless maybe I come home with wine and cracker bread. That's the only way I could take their humiliation.

TV - sometimes it's just not meant for sober people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I swear, TV isn't even worth watching anymore.

A good book, or a backbreaking turn in the garden, at least there's something accomlished in the process.