Thursday, November 11, 2004

Brokers. Lawn Chairs. Giggling

Go figure. I mean I'm sure stranger things have happened I suppose, but not many. Back when I was Notoriously Bad, I chose the wrong thing at the wrong time. Well since the pool isn't finished, not buying the patio set seems to have been a good idea afterall. Especially since it's WINTER now and the pool still isn't done, so the nice patio set would be out in the cold, useless for the next couple of months, and what fun is that?

So about that airline stock.. It went down after I bought it. Way down, down, down, down.. Now this was my first foray into Wall Street. And I lucked into the introduction at that. So I wasn't expecting much, really.
I happened to mention to a broker that worked next door, that I was shopping for patio furniture and I found a beautiful set on sale. But even on sale it was expensive. He said why spend money on that when you could buy stock.

I laughed. Me own stock. I lose at Monopoly. I'm hell on wheels at Scrabble (or Pogo games), but stock? I always thought that was for people that had $money$. I'm a single mom, with cars that keep breaking down, a house that got hit hard by three Tropical storms - in Atlanta(!) no less, along with three sons, one in college.

I didn't think I was a likely candidate for somebody to be pitching stock to. But then he said the magic word... an airline I knew. It was less than $5.00 a share. It just tickled me I could own stock and in a company I actually 'knew.' So I put the patio equipment out of my mind and bought some shares.

......And giggled. I giggled when it dropped. I giggled when it went up. I just plain giggled.

I laughed when it dropped to half the price I paid for it and 'my broker' called to check on me. Me having a broker made it just fun in itself. He advised me to sell, I still laughed as I told him no. I figured if I had bought the patio set I'd be out the money anyway, so I was prepared to lose my investment. I had always heard, 'don't invest more than you're willing to lose'... and I hadn't. And I decided to use what I knew about the company and stay in the game.

I giggled more when it rose back up past my 'buy price' and my broker (that still makes me laugh) called me to say I was right.
Now, I don't have enough stock to make me RICH by any means! But it's an investment (I hope). It's also given me more incentive and I'm looking forward to paying even more of my debts and buying even more stock. Yes, maybe even some stock that's stable... Hey! It could happen.
My broker even has a term he uses when he comes by... He says "I have some solid investments when you're ready and yes a few 'giggle' stock ideas for you too." Me, with a broker, owning stock.... go figure! It may never happen again, though I'd like to think it will.

So, I might still be notoriously bad (the pool remember? and it IS airline stock afterall) but at least I'll remember my first entry into Wall Street fondly, and besides, I've got a few old lawn chairs that will do just fine for a while.

No comments: