Monday, November 01, 2010

Zombie Attack


This years' theme for the foyer was spiders.  I always like to decorate the foyer so the trick-o-treaters have something fun to look at when they come to call.   It looked really good this year, lots of candles, dry ice bubbling and boiling, sending a silky cloud floating out and around the room.   I heard lots of "Oh that's cool!"   So that always makes all the prep worth it.  :)



Son3 (pictured here and named #3 only because of birth order) had a Halloween party here, again.  Every year I say, "No more parties here!" and yea well ..... that never happens.  I always relent and open the house up to a horde of young adults who's idea of having a party involves little more than drinking until you're senseless.  Food?  not usually.  Music?  sometimes.  Liquor?  just enough to supply a third world country.  


But over these many years they know and follow the house rules: You must be 21 to drink.  And, If You drink, you find a pillow, a blanket, a piece of floor, couch or spare room and you stay until the morning.  You do not drink and drive. End of discussion.

Last night's party was tame compared to some of the previous parties.  I only heard the "Zulu warrior" drinking song a few times.... or maybe I managed to sleep through the subsequent never ending rounds.   One thing with this group of (son's) friends, they get into the spirit of any holiday.   Costumes were mandatory and everyone looked awesome.   

The party was scheduled to begin around 9pm, so those who arrived early (and were sober) were given the task of handing out candy.   Jared, who is like 6' 5" tall greeted the neighborhood trick-o-treaters and they loved him.   I figured the Zombies would probably scare the little ones, so for the early trick-o-treaters I let the Nuns do door duty, since they hadn't had their turn to get Zombified.   As the night drew on however, the Zombies took over door duty for the older trick-o-treater kids and the Zombies were a big hit too.

I locked myself in my room at 9:30pm, said a prayer that no candles would set the house on fire, and that no Zombie would create a ruckus loud enough to raise the dead or the cops, and finally fell asleep at 1am.    Yea...  made for a tough 5am wake up alarm for work this morning. 


 
5:30am.... and I hit the snooze button and woke up at 6:30.  I'm supposed to leave the house at 6:45 to make it to work by 8am..... so I raced around, threw some clothes on, brushed my teeth, splashed some water on my face and raced downstairs only to find that my car keys are nowhere to be found.   ARGH!  No that isn't a picture of me in the morning, but it is rather close to how I felt.

Zombie son had forgotten to put the keys back in my purse...  GRRRRR.    So like a screaming banshee that I can be, I roused the undead in the house, resisted the urge to strangle son3 and called for an all out search for the missing keys.   Fortunately the keys were quickly found and I shot out the door.  Welcome to Monday!  

Zombie son redeemed himself however for the temporary lost key meltdown.   He had made sure my car wasn't blocked in, so at least I didn't have to go back inside and rouse more walking dead to do the great car shuffle.    Hmmm... could son3 actually be learning or was it blind luck?  We may never know.

All in all an active weekend, and a nice change.  

Next "outing" is this Friday... Samba lessons!     Have I mentioned that I have two left feet?


No comments: