Monday, October 18, 2004

It Must Be Another Monday


It's starting again. The mechanical curse. I simply mentioned in passing about the lawn mower. Barely mentioned! But still, last Friday, Son #2 decided to turn the new push mower over and clean out the underside of it. (and ummm, since WHEN does he clean anything?!) Sooo......

Lesson #1: Don't tip a lawn mower over. We learned (or so I thought) this valuable lesson last summer when Son #3 tipped the riding lawn mower over and I ended up flat out on my back in the front yard unable to move after trying to turn it right side up again. Now, when we start the darn thing, smoke comes billowing out. I mean BILLOWING out. So much so, the neighbors across the street came running out of their house thinking our house was on fire. The riding lawn mower hasn't worked since.. Fortunately, once I crawled my way back into the house, I have worked. So I bought a new self propelled lawn mower.

Lesson #2. Don't tip a lawn mower over. Hey, they're boys ~ sometimes the lesson doesn't take the first time. (smirk) last Friday.....

"Mom," the phone call came in at work.
"Yes son #2?" I replied.
"Mom, the lawn mower is smoking."
"Yes son, it's been smoking since Son #3 turned it over, remember? We have a new one now, use it."
"That's the one I mean, Mom."
Silence. Silence. Silence... except forslow methodical banging of my head on my desk.
"Son, did you tip the thing over by ANY chance?"
Silence.... Silence....
"Well.....kinda."
Kinda? PFFFT! sigh. I now have 3 lawn mowers parked in my garage that don't work. Well, they work if you don't mind the fire department arriving everytime you cut the grass... details, details.

Today...

"Mom," the phone call came in at work.
"Yes Son #3?" I replied.
"My car doesn't work."
Silence. Silence. Silence... except for the slow methodical banging of my head on my desk.
"What exactly is 'doesn't work'?" I find the courage to ask. I really don't want to know, but it's one of the necessary evils of being a Mom. We gotta ask, it's in our contract.

"I left my car lights on all day at school, the battery's dead," he admits.
"Um, YEA, that'll do it son."

I look outside, it's raining. It's 4:00. I'll do alot of things. But I won't mess with car batteries. Much less car batteries in the rain. Electrical things scare the stuffing outta me. He's already tried to get a jump from a friend, but the battery is kaput.

Son #3 manages to get a ride home. On my way home from work I stop to buy a battery... "Lady, what kind of car is it? Make, model, year, engine size?" Engine size? Grrr. I hate cars.

"So, Lady do you want the $50 or $129 battery?" Like THIS is a tough decision?.... pfft.. $129, NOT. But... while I'm there with 5 men who are standing around with nothing better to do but watch one guy get a battery for me, I take advantage of the situation. I ask about smoking lawn mowers... and I think I got an easy fix, I'll have to wait til it stops raining to try it and find out.

Tomorrow I will have Son #2 drive Son #3 to school with the battery and tools and Son #3 can get his teacher, Major K to help him replace the battery. Guys like doing that sort of thing.

My mom always said things come in 3's.... Soooo 2 down! one to go! Bring it on... I'm ready. Come to think of it, I've not heard from Son #1 in a few days at college....

I'm bringing a pillow to work for my desk/head.

No comments: