Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan

I am being selfish, but I am having a really bad mommy moment.    My son Grayson is deployed out of Yokosuka, Japan.    I know he is safe, the Navy made everyone call their families after the earthquake hit to let us know.  Thank you Navy.

I've heard from him via an email and the phone call on Friday, and I can only imagine what they are doing over there.  The McCampbell (his ship, a destroyer) was sent to do search and rescue off the coast of Sendai, the area hardest hit.

When the wind changed and they were exposed to "nominal" amounts of radiation, they moved the ship off the southern coast of Hunshu.   I hear they've had after shocks of 5 - 6.   I guess the safest place is to be on the water (so they say)

He said the debris in the water is unbelieveable.   And I can't help but think of the possible bodies they might pull from the sea.   Everybody on ship volunteered for rescue and recovery.   Ever single one of the crew wanted to go where ever help was needed.    I don't know if some went ashore and some stayed on the ship.  I assumed that's what he meant.  I know Grayson was dissapointed that all he was doing was helping to load helo's with water and food, as much as they could afford to send.   If it was up to the crew, I think they would have given it all.  

I love my son and am very proud of what he is doing, even if it's "just" loading helo's with supplies.  They all want to do more.   They want to do anything they can.  They all love the Japanese people, country, and culture they have shared.   I told him that just because he wasn't on "the front line" on land helping, that didn't mean he wasn't performing a vital function.   But again, they all want to go.  They all want to help. 

I am proud of him and the ship he serves on....   but if he glows in the dark when he comes home for Christmas, I am going to be seriously pissed.

2 comments:

Lazarai said...

I feel for you AND your son. The pictures we are seeing of the devastation there are just horrifying. I understand your fears for him, too. The reactor disaster is possibly even worse than the tsunami for survivors. Imagine surviving the earthquake/tsunami and then being subjected to the fallout from the nuclear reactor! Awful, just awful!!

I will keep Grayson in my thoughts, and you, as well.

Take care,
Carol

XKY France said...

Thank you for such a great post you wrote here and I'm very obliged to write an article here on the benefit of herbal herbs.I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heals my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer. , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN, LOT OF LOVE, LOTTERY. ITS CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: Or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ +2348149277967