Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Empty Nest

I've either failed miserably as a parent OR; I've made "home" such a wonderful place to grow up and be that they don't want to leave. I'm not sure which it is.

My youngest child is a senior in high school this year and just received his first college acceptance yesterday.

He read it to me and then we both just looked at each other. We both knew what that letter meant. It meant that he would be leaving.

This is my baby. My baby will be leaving.

He and I have been very close 'partners in crime' for 18 years. With this child in particular, there have been many adventures shared, tough times weathered and special, wonderful times. We are more than parent child. We are friends.

Yes, he has a million friends. He also has a very active social life and plenty of interests that he pursues without me. This is not a Mama's boy. But still, neither of us are thrilled he is leaving.

So after he read the letter, I mustered up some excitement for him. He just smiled slightly and said he was thinking about doing his core classes here at the local college before transferring out to a 4 year college in about a year or so.

I'm not sure I am going to let him do that. As much as I will miss him - and critically so - I will tell him the same thing I told his brothers. You need to go away to school. It will be the best years of your life. And there will always be summers and holidays to come back home.

The moment you have kids, you are preparing them to grow up and leave you. Hopefully teaching them the skills to make it in their own life. It seems like such a far away event.

le sigh. It isn't.

9 comments:

Jod{i} said...

Oh MY...Sie, this hits home as the time goes on...the time of one going and then another and so on draws closer...

sigh

Tammy Brierly said...

You have created a loving home and a loving push to go live his life is a good thing. They never really leave:)

Glad you are home safe and sound.

Laura said...

i'm struggling with a simnilar dilemma with my 1st baby. i feel like such a failure and such a uber bitch at the same time and yet all i want is for her to be happy and successful in her view.
::::::sigh:::::
and i thought it would get easier the older they get!
good luck with your baby bird.

Anonymous said...

My son left Phoenix straight out of high school to spend the summer in the south of France . . . we spent some fun times together before he left. It was SO hard to see him go so far away . . . and he came back slightly changed, more of an adult . .. more prepared to make his own decisions. He went to Iowa for undergrad and Boston for post-grad. Those were lonely years, but ESSENTIAL for him!

He and his Iowa wife happened to decide to settle here . . . that's been nine years and two children ago!

Becky said...

You done good. Trust me. When I was your son's age, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of Dodge. I think I left skid marks in the driveway the day I left for school.

Bedazzzled1 said...

::flashback:: As the college acceptance letters arrived for my son, I remember telling him he could go to any college he wished...as long as it was within walking distance from our house. LOL!

It is damn tough to send them on their way. A whole bittersweet symphony of emotions arise.

BosieLadie said...

You must be so proud of your boys! You done good. You're right, it's everything we do to prepare them to grow up and out of the house, but when it comes down to it, we miss them terribly.

Thanks for stopping by!

Pretty peanut said...

Seeing as I my little one just turned 3, I know this day will come. She is my best friend right now, how weird is that?
I dread the day that she will go away. I just hope that I have taught her all that she will need to know to live out in the world and survive. I know that it's hard, but you sound like you are dealing with it (or will deal with it) in great fashion. Your boys are lucky to have you as their role model.
Good luck!

Judith HeartSong said...

you are a very good Mom my Dear. I already know this ache..... but you will continue to love him long-distance.